Help Develop Positive Behaviors
The Health and Life Skills programs help develop young people’s capacity to engage in positive behaviors that nurture their own well-being, set personal goals and live successfully as self-sufficient adults.
This program teaches young people how to resist alcohol, tobacco and other drug use, as well as premature sexual activity. Youths gain the confidence and knowledge they need to make intelligent choices. Boys & Girls Clubs offer four age appropriate levels:
- SMART Kids—6 to 9 years of age
- Start SMART—10 to 12 years of age
- Street SMART—11 to 13 years of age
- Stay SMART—13 to 15 years of age
This program, for girls ages 8 to 12 and 13 to 17, was designed to give girls the skills necessary for a healthy lifestyle with positive morals and values. Through this program, girls are taught to:
- Understand the physical, emotional and social changes they experience.
- Develop lifelong nutrition habits, based on needs specific to females.
- Adopt healthy exercise routines through leisure and physical activities.
- Learn how to access the health care system in their community.
- Develop and enhance important female relationships.
- Give them communication skills for building cooperative relationships by recognizing and avoiding abusive behavior.